Saturday, September 25, 2010

So maybe they won’t be coming after all

Though not at all traditional, cheesecake is an au courant menu item here in Sarajevo. When we mention to people that we are looking for a dessert, they jump to tell us which restaurant serves their favorite cheesecake. An American woman in our tiny church group is a professional baker. This weekend she is making five different varieties of cheesecake and invited us and any friends to come to a tasting party.
One of the fathers of Isaac’s classmate speaks very good English and has often translated for me when my Bosnian fails me. So I invited him and his family to come with us to the cheesecake tasting party.

“Yes, yes,” he said, nodding and reading the flyer I gave him with the details of the party. “I will talk to my wife about it.” He tucked the flyer into his pocket, and there was a moment of silence. “There is just one teensy problem” (see how good his English is? He even uses “teensy”!).

“Oh?” I asked.

He wrinkled his nose in disgust. “I hate cheesecake.”

No comments: