Thursday, June 30, 2011

More tree love

I loved the 100 Species Challenge that swept (well, maybe it just burbled) through the home-schooling community a couple of years ago The challenge is to identify 100 plants growing within a mile of where you live. What a great way to engage with and get to know the natural world! And besides, I just like knowing the names of things.

But I'm not very good at it. I collect leaves and come home and look them up and discover I don't remember whether the leaves were opposite or alternate or whether the fruits hung singly or in pairs. I always intend to go back and answer my questions, but it seldom happens.

Which is why the park here is perfect for me.


The city provides free wi-fi all through the park. So I just bring along my laptop and identify in situ. I cannot tell you how satisfying this has been.

This, ladies and gentleman, is (I think) from a horse chestnut tree (which also grown in the parking lot behind our dormitory).



Voila!

No comments: