Thursday, February 24, 2011

Another shot heard round the world

Before we moved here in 1992, the main thing I knew about Sarajevo was that World War I started here.

Right here:


On 28 June 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie were in a car on Latinski Most (Latin Bridge)when they were assasinated by Gavrilo Princip. Which, as I learned in junior high school, preciptated all the other events that led to World War I.

Today it is a pedestrian bridge connecting the Turkish part of town with the Bistrik district of town. When we lived here before, we considered it "our" bridge because it was the one closest to our home.


When we were here before, there was nothing to mark the significance of the site. Wikipedia has a photograph of a plaque, but I've never found it. (Sarajevo readers--do you know where a plaque is?) Someone told us it was ripped off during the recent war because it commemorates something a Serb did, but I'm not sure if that's true either.

Plaque or no plaque, there is now a tiny museum at the end of the bridge. A friend who went there was less than dazzled, but our family likes it (of course, we have a thing for museums). You can see the clothes the Archduke and his wife wore and follow the events of the day in minute-by-minute detail. A good spot for fans of museums and of World War I.

1 comment:

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

Okay, sO I am a bit of history nerd. But that is really cool. For some reason it always seems like places like that should FEEL different than normal-- but I find they usually feel pretty normal. I love all these glimpses into a place I've never been. Thank you!