Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mystery Greens

I usually buy produce at the open air produce market. There, dealers buy from their regular suppliers and they show up every day, just as if they had a bricks and mortar store.

Near the official produce market, people--often scarved women--set up shop on the sidewalk to sell stuff from their gardens. This spring I've been buying greens from the sidewalk vendors.

We tried stinging nettles. (Do you really grow these in your garden? Maybe they were gathered from the wild.) My new Bosnian cookbook (and many Internet sites) handily explained how to cook them so they won't sting you when you eat them.


And we tried these, too. I don't know what they are. The Bosnian friend I counted on to tell me didn't know either, but lots of people are selling them on the sidewalk. The woman I bought them from told me not to cook them but to serve them in a salad. They're slightly spicy.


Anyone know what it is we're eating?

No comments: