Sunday, March 25, 2007

She's seventeen!


Today Ruth turns seventeen. I told her I can't figure out how she got so old so fast. She assures me it wasn't fast for her.

At her birthday dinner, we told the story of when she was born and shared fond memories of her. Then, in our newest birthday tradition, we made up futures for her. We have lots of fun spinning the tales out with much detail. In short, however, seventeen years from now, she will be...

a neurosurgeon turned conceptual artist in Central Kazhakstan, or

the founder and translator for a charity hospital in the highlands of Ecuador, or

an art restorer, or

a mother of five children, race organizer, and ultra-marathon runner, or

an arts critic for the Los Angeles Times, or...

Feel free to add your own possible future for our birthday girl. Happy birthday, Ruth!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ruth!!
How about, in 17 years the first ever fiddle goddess (except maybe Alison Krauss) with millions of adoring fans...

Jim

Nate said...

Or perhaps the fiddling neurosurgeon turned comic book hero who is a physical chemist and loving mother in her spare time.

Anonymous said...

Gah. I'm a bit late but happy bday again! I think I should totally add to the future possible occupations.

um.

I'll think of some later!

love, Hye Jea