Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ruth on TV!

Today, at 12:00 GMT, was the launch of Al Jazeera's English language news channel. Some of us at school got together in the staff room to watch the countdown screen disappear and the first broadcast begin. For those of you who don't know, Al Jazeera is the "largest and most controversial" Arab news organization in the world (http://www.allied-media.com/aljazeera/). I've seen part of an excellent documentary about it, Control Room.

Anyway, somebody at school told some Al Jazeera correspondents in Khartoum about our little launch party, and invited them to come over for it. They showed up with video cameras and one of those microphones that has the news organization's label on it. They talked to some of us and filmed me watching a little of the broadcast (I'm guessing I was an interesting target because I'm white American, unlike most of my friends who were in attendance). See us at 5 PM GMT tonight!

1 comment:

Nate said...

I knew that you'd be famous someday. I just didn't expect that it would be on an Arab news network. Congratulations! You probably now have an FBI file (which isn't a bad thing - Martin Luther King and a host of others also did).

Nathan