Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Paying bills

Our phone service got cut off again. This time, I insisted that the realtor take me with her and show me how we’re supposed to pay. She drove me to a small, dusty office. Two men sat on folding chairs behind a counter. There was an old computer, one of those enormous behemoths from the early days of personal computing, which one of the men consulted when I gave him our telephone number. Nobody apparently gets a bill. You’re just supposed to show up at the office by the fifteenth of each month to pay. If you want the bill, you have to go to another office, somewhere else in town. I don’t know how to do that, so we’ll just pay whatever they tell us to.

My mom reminded me that I still don’t know how to pay for water. One more utility to go…

No comments: